[Zope-CMF] Re: CMF 2.1.1 release

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sat Dec 29 13:30:24 EST 2007

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2007, at 18:28 , Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> What's the status of moving all the other parts into separate
>> projects /
>> folders?
>>
>> FWIW there hasn't been a final vote on the one-meta-egg vs. individual
>> eggs question.
>>
>> For the small number of CMF parts I'm +1 for individual eggs.
>
> Yes, this is an open question. Products.CMFCore has been prepared so
> it could be published as its own egg. But there hasn't been a decision
> whether to set up individual eggs for each CMF package or just one big
> egg or a combination of the two solutions.
>
> I like your argument where we could use this as an opportunity to move
> packages like CMFUid out of the bundle/egg/tarball/whatever that
> people get when they get the CMF. I wouldn't mind having a division
> where you have...
>
>   - CMFCore (the foundation which may be used by itself to develop
> other kinds of portal software)
>
>   - CMFDefault + DCWorkflow + (maybe) CMFTopic (a "finished" sample
> for a CMFCore-based portal software bundle)
>
>   - CMFUid (optional add-on)
>
>   - CMFCalendar (optional add-on)
>
>   - CMFActionIcons (optional add-on)

If we go ahead and break each product out into its own egg, we can
create one or more "meta eggs" which stitch them back together.  E.g.,
the meta egg could have:

  install_requires=['Products.GenericSetup',
                    'Products.CMFCore'
                    'Products.CMFDefault',
                    'Products.CMFTopic',
                    'Products.DWorkflow',
                   ],
  extras_require={'uid': ['Products.CMFUid'],
                  'calendar': ['Products.CMFCalendar'],
                  'actionicons': ['Products.CMFActionIcons'],
                  'kitchensink': ['Products.CMFUid',
                                  'Products.CMFCalendar',
                                  'Products.CMFActionIcons',
                                 ],
                  }

People who want the traditional "all-in-one" could then depend on or
easy_install 'CMF[kitchensink]'.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com