[Zope-CMF] Re: Tools as local utilities

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Feb 9 07:24:56 EST 2007

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2007, at 11:03, yuppie wrote:
>>> Taking this into account, how should the five.localsitemanager thing
>>> be packaged?
>>
>> Maybe we can use the same pattern as TextIndexNG3: The Python package
>> is shipped in a 'src' subdirectory of the product. The product's
>> __init__ adds 'src' to the sys.path. The code could check if
>> five.localsitemanager already exists (e.g. in a Plone distribution)
>> and modify sys.path only if necessary.
>>
>> This is a hack, but maybe good enough as a temporary solution for CMF
>> 2.1.
>
> That's certainly good enough for me.

I was about to suggest that: create a "pure" five.localsitemanager
package for the "package zealots" and make a product that simply puts it
on sys.path.

I don't think resorting to relative imports is an option. I personally
think Python 2's import semantics are pretty much fubared and I can only
recommend to always use absolute imports.

Also, whatever we create now will have to live under Seaver's law
(Persistence means having to say I'm sorry) because
five.localsitemanager will obviously have persitent objects (the
LocalSiteManager implementation, which is a subclass of
PersistentComponents).

Anyway, yay on the consensus for CMF 2.1!

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5