[Zope-CMF] Re: Plone needs a release this week

yuppie y.2007- at wcm-solutions.de
Tue Jul 31 09:51:52 EDT 2007

Hi!

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On 20 Jul 2007, at 11:00, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
>> Previously Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>>> Next step: What needs fixing for the final?
>>
>> There has been a surprising lack of response to this question. Since I
>> need a CMF 2.1-final for Plone in a few weeks that could be very
>> positive news for me but I have a suspicion that some of you have some
>> outstanding issues. Or is there really nothing that needs to be done
>> before going final?
>
> If no one objects I will cut a CMF 2.1.0-final the weekend of August 5.

I finally found some time to have a closer look at the latest code.

AFAICS the premature GenericSetup 1.3 release has the biggest issues:

- The exports created by the new components handler are still flawed,
ISiteRoot and placeless components are not exported correctly.

- There are also some usability issues (strange ordering; strange
interface names including '_tools' and '_content'; no support for
sub-sites; more attributes than necessary are required; no support for
removing items), but they might not be release blockers.

I sent hannosch more detailed information, but if he can't work on these
issues this week, someone else has to resolve them.

- There is also this discussion that had no consequences:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2007-June/026220.html

I still consider the VERSION.txt support a mis-feature.

five.localsitemanager still has no UI for inspecting and editing
component registrations. I added the 'components_xmlconfig.html' view to
GenericSetup as an alternative way to do this, but a normal UI would
still be useful.

CMF seems to be in good shape, but the migration code and documentation
could need some cleanup:

- The 2.1 migration should use the new 'upgradeStep' feature, the
on-the-fly migration code in PortalObjectBase.getSiteManager should be
replaced by an 'upgradeStep'

- It might be useful to review the docstrings in CMFCore.utils and
interfaces._tools. There are misleading comments like "BBB:  for use in
'getToolByName';  in the future, prefer
'zapi.getUtility(IActionsTool)'." Seems not all docs reflect the latest
tools-as-utilities changes.

I think the most important issues can be resolved before the weekend
*if* some people are willing to help.

Cheers,

	Yuppie