[Zope-CMF] Re: Making TypesTool faster

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Wed May 2 12:33:17 EDT 2007

Alexander Limi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like some input on making CMF (and by extension Plone) more
> efficient.
>
> This issue goes back to the original discovery that Zope had a bug that
> made its Product lookup mechanism be very slow in Zope 2.10.0/1, and
> affected TypesTool lookups in particular.
>
> When we experimented with this during the Performance Sprint at Google, we
> lowered the call time from 6.26s to 0.29s by caching it in a thread local
> cache.
>
> (All calls and timings are 10 calls to the standard Plone front page on a
> 2GHz MacBook)
>
> The contentmenu.pt template in Plone (which pretty much just does the
> TypesTool lookup for what types are addable), currently takes up roughly
> 30% (!) of the total cost of rendering a standard page in Plone.
>
> After the bug fix was applied to Zope 2.10.3, the call went down to 0.80s
> with the same hardware/#calls — there's still a significant potential for
> improvement here: 0.80s -> 0.29s.
>
> Here's what Alec Mitchell wrote about it at the time:
> """
> The fundamental issue is not that product lookup is slow in Zope, but that
> CMF uses the Product lookup mechanism as a registry without any sort
> of caching.  This is quite easy to fix either in Plone or in the CMF
> depending on the timeframe we need it merged in for.  I initially used
> a thread local for safety because I wasn't entirely sure what sorts of
> things would end up in this cache.  However, by now it's pretty clear
> to me that an instance level cache should be perfectly safe, which
> should be a little faster yet.
>
> """
>
> So what I'm wondering is whether it's possible to get this instance-level
> caching of the lookup in the types tool before CMF 2.1 final? I'd
> obviously prefer it if Plone didn't have to subclass and override parts of
> TypesTool to fix this. :)
>
> (Oh, and for reference — the original thread local cache that we used for
> testing is here: http://paste.plone.org/13211 )

First, thanks for investigating.  I know Plone developers have suspected
that the "add list" (which is rendered on every page view in a typical
Plone site) was a major source of sluggishness;  I'm glad to get it
confirmed with specifics.

Before we look at optimizing the use of the product dispatch mechanism,
I'd like to propose deprecating it in favor of the factory-utility
mechanism:  leaving the 'product' field blank in an FTI, and having the
'factory' field be the name of a utility registered for
'zope.component.interfaces.IFactory'.

Typically, the code to enable this looks like the following (the CMF
already does this)::

  # Products/MyProduct/MyContent.py
  from zope.component.factory import Factory
  MyContentFactory = Factory(MyContent)  # right after InitializeClass

  # Products/MyProduct/configure.zcml
  <utility
      component=".MyContent.MyContentFactory"
      name="myproduct.mycontent"
      />

  # Products/MyProduct/profiles/myproduct/types/MyContent.xml
  <property name="product"></property>
  <property name="factory">myproduct.mycontent</property>

If y'all still have your benchmarks available, could you publish the
setup code you used?  I'd really like to see the results on a site set
up using the new-style factories.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com