[Zope-CMF] Re: GenericSetup dependency support

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Thu Nov 22 10:53:13 EST 2007

Previously Tres Seaver wrote:

> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > I did some work on a wichert-dependencies branch for GenericSetup today.
> > It works quite simple: runAllImportStepsFromProfile will now look for
> > required contexts in the profile metadata. Any found dependencies will
> > be imported before the current code is imported. There is a new option
> > ignore_dependencies which can be used to disable this behaviour.
> >
> > I would appreciate some more eyes on these changes before merging this.
>
> The changes look good to me, although I'm not sure I understand the use
> case.

Mostly it solves a maintenance problem: it is quite common for a product
to require one or more other products. You can merge the necessary
GS profile for those into your product but that means you have to
duplicate and maintain that information in multiple places, and likely
across multiple developers as well.

I made a branch of CMFQuickInstaller which makes this particularly nice:
it listens to the new events fired by GenericSetup to mark products as
installed when their profile is fully loaded. Combining these two allows
users to install a product and automatically have all its dependencies
installed in the site as well.

Wichert.