[Zope-CMF] GenericSetup and removed products

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Thu Sep 6 04:22:13 EDT 2007

We are seeing a common GenericSetup related bugreport for Plone 3:
people migrating to Plone 3 correctly remove products that are not
yet supported on Plone 3. However those products may have a registered
GS import or export step which is not removed. The result is that GS
tries to run import/export code from a product which no longer exists
and aborts with an ImportError. Since the only way to remove the
step registration is by manually tweaking internal data structure of
the setup tool this is somewhat painful.

To fix this I want to do two things:

* on GS trunk I want to implement zcml-based import and export step
  registration (I have a partial implementation but need to finish
  that)

* on the maintenance branch add a try/except to catch import errors and
  either ignore those or remove the step if they occur.

Wichert.