[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] GenericSetup and CMF dependencies

yuppie y.2008 at wcm-solutions.de
Mon Apr 21 05:16:44 EDT 2008

Hi!

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously yuppie wrote:
>> Until recently, the Products themselves didn't use setuptools. Revision
>> 85287 (http://svn.zope.org/?rev=85287&view=rev) changed that. It is no
>> longer possible to run CMF without setuptools installed.
>>
>> Was that intended when setuptools was added to install_requires? We
>> always tried hard to keep CMF dependencies to a minimum. Will we only
>> support egg releases for CMF 2.2 and later, making setuptools required
>> anyway?
>
> The eggified CMF already required setuptools to make sure the Products
> namespace is setup correctly.

'declare_namespace' is used with a fallback, so setuptools was not
strictly required:

     try:
         __import__('pkg_resources').declare_namespace(__name__)
     except ImportError:
         from pkgutil import extend_path
         __path__ = extend_path(__path__, __name__)

> Considering that entire python community
> appears to be moving to egg, Zope2 is going to be distributed in egg
> form (at least there is a strong move in that direction) I think a
> dependency on setuptools is not problematic.

I guess CMF 2.2 will be released before Zope2 or Python requires
setuptools, so at least for now it is a GenericSetup/CMF dependency.

http://svn.zope.org/CMF/trunk/ still exists and needs to be maintained
(or deleted). Who ever added the setuptools dependency should update
INSTALL.txt and friends (if we agree to keep CMF trunk and the dependency).

Cheers,

	Yuppie