[Zope-CMF] Re: Multiple GS profiles per product

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Mon May 19 17:59:11 EDT 2008

Thanks for the comments, Tres and Hanno.

Hanno Schlichting, on 2008-05-16:
> Hi.
>
> Maurits van Rees wrote:
>> This is on Plone 3.0 with CMFQuickInstaller 2.0.4.
>
> I think you are on the wrong list here. QuickInstaller is a part of
> Plone and not CMF and should be discussed on plone-dev. I'll give some

Ah, I was thinking "It starts with CMF so I will mail the CMF list."
But the CMF-QI is in the plone collective indeed.  My bad.

Is anyone in CMF land using the CMFQuickInstaller without using
CMFPlone?  There are no imports from CMFPlone so it should be
possible.

>> Question 1: can I influence which profile is picked here?  Should we
>> add some code to the QuickInstaller.getInstallProfile(s) methods to
>> for instance prefer a profile with a name like "productname:default"?
>
> Picking the first profile from the arbitrarily sorted list of profiles
> is obviously a shortcoming of QI. The main problem here is that QI uses
> the product name as a primary key for all its operations and thus can
> only really handle one installation record for one product. The whole
> use of extension profiles as installation procedures is a bit of a hack.
> What should really happen and which I'll do for Plone 4.0 is to remove
> the support for Extensions/Install.py and give up the one-to-one
> relationship between products and installation records. What happens in
> the end is that you apply configurations to a site - that can be as many
> as you want with extension profiles. I just don't see a way on how to
> move forward with this without a clear cut.

I'm interested in this as well.  If you need a hand in
thinking/coding/testing ping me and I'll see what I can do.

>> Now, I tested with eXtremeManagement 1.5.2, the latest stable release,
>> in case anyone wants to try it out (remember to add a Poi 1.1 bundle
>> too).  That release also has Extensions/(App)Install.py files.  I
>> moved those out of the way and restarted.
>
> Why did you remove Extensions/Install.py? This one is supposed to take
> precedence over extensions profiles. In your case having one, which
> installs the GS profile you want internally should work just fine.

I removed it for testing, just to see what would happen; no commits
were done, no bits in the collective were hurt in the process. ;-) It
was actually removed for real a while back, which still worked fine
for Plone 3.0/GS 1.3, but Jean-Paul added it back for other reasons.

>> Question 2: I am used to having a profiles directory in a product and
>> a subdirectory inside it named 'default'.  eXtremeManagement is the
>> only product I know that has a second profile next to it.  Are others
>> using more than one profile?  Well, CMFPlone does a few things here.
>
> Multiple profiles are common. I think I made the profiles/default thingy
> the default value, when you don't provide one in ZCML, but that's all
> the magic there is and should be.
>
>> Question 3: Should we encourage programmers to only use one profile,
>> presumably simply in a directory named 'profile' by default?
>
> No. :)

OK. :)

>> In the case of eXtremeManagement, the day is saved because it still
>> has an Extensions/Install.py.  That is the installer that is actually
>> executed and it has some code to run the correct profile, including a
>> dependency.  The only hickup so far is that with the newer QI the name
>> of the other profile is listed instead of the default profile.
>
> That is a bug. I think someone added this code of taking the title from
> the profile, shortly before the final and I missed to review it
> properly. We should just revert those changes. If you have an
> Extensions/Install.py nothing should be read from the profile database.
>
> Can you add a ticket for this last issue?

Yes: http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/8142

I did not see a component that it would really fit for; I chose
'Upgrade/Migration' as in my mind that was the best fit.

I was so bold as to assign the issue to you. :-)

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/