[Zope-CMF] Re: License file question

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu May 29 05:19:47 EDT 2008

Maurits van Rees wrote:
> Raphael Ritz, on 2008-05-29:
>> Not sure whether that's following best practice but here is
>> how paster/zopeskel generate this at the moment (this is taken
>> from a custom add-on I'm currently working on):
>>
>> ritz at ritz-laptop:~/dev/paster/incf.applications/trunk$ ls
>> docs  incf  incf.applications.egg-info  README.txt  setup.cfg  setup.py
>>
>> ritz at ritz-laptop:~/dev/paster/incf.applications/trunk$ ls docs
>> HISTORY.txt  INSTALL.txt  LICENSE.GPL  LICENSE.txt
>>
>> How do others handle this?
>
> I can understand putting the HISTORY in the toplevel docs/ directory
> of a package.

Btw, the zope.org convention is CHANGES.txt. See [1].

> But personally I like having it inside the "main"
> folder, so in your example above it would be
> incf.applications/incf/applications/HISTORY.txt

There's some benefit to that because it'll be part of the egg.

> That way when changing a file in the main directory and you want to
> change the history you do not need to descend three directories and go
> to docs/ to change that.

One of the directories is largely superfluous: src. I think the only
reason we have it is so that 'setup.py' isn't on the PYTHONPATH. Or
something.

> And in bundles with svn externals the top level docs/ directory is not
> even visible because you only include the main folder.  So you miss
> the history file (and the README.txt if you keep that in docs/ as
> well).

I think a docs folder adds unnecessary structure in many cases.

> I remember that at least once I changed something in a plone package
> inside a bundle, Wichert asked me to update the history file and I
> ended up wrongly updating the history file of CMFPlone because I never
> even saw the real history file belonging to that package. :-)

That's because bundles are stupid :)

[1]
http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/maintaining-software.txt