[Zope-CMF] Re: License file question

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu May 29 14:57:04 EDT 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Maurits van Rees wrote:
>> Wichert Akkerman, on 2008-05-29:
>>> Yes. If you make the bdist_egg from a svn checkout it includes all files
>>> that are in subversion. If you make an egg from something else like a
>>> sdist or a svn export that does not happen (since the svn information is
>>> not available).
>> Without a MANIFEST.in, the egg resulting from an sdist that is
>> easy_installed is the same as a bdist_egg, right?  Indeed when I try
>> that for plone.portlet.static this is the case.  So having a
>> MANIFEST.in makes no real difference in that regard.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. The basic algorihm is:
>
> - MANIFEST is used to determine what is installed, or
> - subversion workingcopy information is used to determine what is installed, or
> - a default ruleset is used
>
> This algorithm is used at the moment a 'binary installation' is made,
> which is either when you build an egg using setup.py bdist_egg or when
> you install an egg from source (ie from a sdist or an unpacked tree).

setuptools-generated sdist tarballs made from SVN checkouts get all the
correct files in them when made into eggs / installed via setuptools,
using the metadata in the .egg-info directory (SOURCES.txt, in particular).

I think the only issue is for folks who would like to install your
packages without having setuptools present.  Voluntarily using bare
distutils is already so masochistic that I don't feel much pity for the
added pain.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com