[Zope-CMF] [dev] Should portal_setup be registered as utility?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Nov 19 13:47:36 EST 2008

yuppie wrote at 2008-11-18 12:00 +0100:
>Dieter Maurer wrote:
>> Thus, why do local utilities registered by Five (i.e. these utilities are
>> for Zope2 use) do not provide access to the request in the normal
>> Zope2 way?
>
>That's what we tried first. But it turned out that Zope 3's site manager
>code caches the utilities across request boundaries. AFAICT it would
>have been necessary to rewrite the registry code completely to make sure
>we return always the right request.
>
>> If they would, local utilities were much nearer to tools and
>> the transition would be facilitated.
>
>They would be nearer to tools, but also more distant from zope 3
>utilities. I doubt that would really be a win.

Then, maybe, Zope 3 utilities are inadequate at many places in
to Zope 2 world: e.g. any tool that uses TALES expressions may
want to access the (current, of course) request -- especially
when they are destined for user interaction (as actions are).

In view of this, one can understand that Plone has problems with
the "setup_tool" utility registration.

--
Dieter