[Zope-CMF] CMF write performance as poor as Plone?

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sun Nov 23 14:43:21 EST 2008

Ross Patterson wrote:
> Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> writes:
>
>> Ross Patterson wrote:

>>> Quick question.  How much of the write concurrency problem comes from
>>> the fact that the ZPublisher retries the entire *request* on
>>> WriteConflict instead of just trying to committing the transaction
>>> again?
>> It can't retry the commit:  the point is that the conflict can't be
>> resolved using the values read from the database at the start of the
>> transaction.  We have to redo the whole request, re-reading any objects
>> in the context of a new transaction;  otherwise, we would be back to
>> "last write wins", which is a lose.
>
> Not really what I meant, sorry for being unclear.  I meant how much of
> the write performance problem comes from the overhead of redoing the
> whole request, rendering templates and such?  I'm just wondering if
> anyone has quantified that.

I doubt anyone has done so:  the results would likely be highly
dependent on the specific application.

Back in the day, the render-time penalty was one of the reasons I
disliked self-posting forms (for updates):  I preferred the
"update-and-redirect" model, both to avoid rendering during / after the
update, and also to avoid screwing up the browser cache with POST requests.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com