[Zope-CMF] GenericSetup and PluggableAuthService

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Wed Dec 30 09:06:21 EST 2009

Hi all,

I'm working on a PAS plugin and want to ensure it has GenericSetup
support like the standard plugins. I'm running into issues trying to use
GenericSetup in a manual test, though.

With a setup_tool inside the PluggableAuthService instance I can create
an export tarball when I select the "Contents: Export the PAS' registry
and plugins" step explicitly and click "Export selected steps". However,
I can't find a way to re-import this tarball.

Separate note: On the "Import" tab I see a dropdown of extension
profiles to select. Changing the selection here never affects the list
of available import steps, though. This is confusing to me, but I may
have misunderstood the purpose.

So I am selecting my tarball into the upload field and click "Import
uploaded tarball", which presents this traceback:

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 558, in manage_importTarball
  Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 331, in
runAllImportStepsFromProfile
  Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 1085, in
_runImportStepsFromContext
  Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 999, in _doRunImportStep
   - __traceback_info__: catalog
  Module Products.CMFCore.exportimport.catalog, line 28, in
importCatalogTool
  Module Products.CMFCore.utils, line 123, in getToolByName
AttributeError: portal_catalog

It is obviously trying to run an import step that's not suitable outside
of a CMF site. This leaves a few questions:

 - Is my expectation that the tool work outside of a CMF site reasonable?

 - If it is, then why do I always see the full set of all registered
steps from all profiles on the Import/Export ZMI tabs regardless of
chosen base or extension profile?

 - Why is the tarball import trying to run all steps without considering
the selected profile?

 - Are import/export steps that don't guard against missing content
(such as the "catalog" step that blows up when there is no
portal_catalog) just faulty and should fail silently instead?

Any help appreciated :-)

jens