[Zope-CMF] Extending FTI.isConstructionAllowed

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Tue Jun 2 12:51:31 EDT 2009

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously Tres Seaver wrote:

>>> I'm not sure about querying all adapters:  I think it would be clearer
>>> to query the one adapter whose name corresponds to the type name of the
>>> FTI (the "query all" case leads to tricky / emergent behavior).
>> Querying a single adapter makes it very hard to use this as an extension
>> point. Being able to have multiple independent validation-hooks is the
>> whole point of my suggestion, and being able to only use a single
>> adapter would make that impossible.
>
> I don't *want* multiple third-party products to register this adapter:
> I think it belongs to the integrator to set the policy for the site.
> "Reusable policy" is an oxymoron.

Ugh, following up to myself:

If you really *want* to allow every adapter registered anywhere for that
interface to play, you can still get that under my scenario, by
registering the default (unnamed) adapter to do your dance.  That
implementation would be::

  class PromiscuousConstructionFilter:
      implements(ITypeConstructionFilter)

      def __init__(self, (obj, container):
          self.obj = obj
          self.container = container

      def __call__(self):

          for name, filter in getAdapters((self, container),
                                          ITypeConstructionFilter):
              if name: # skip default
                  if not filter.allowed():
                      return False

The policy choice would then be whether to actually register the
"promiscuous" adapter (which would *not* be anabled by default in CMF).

Your alternative makes anybody who does not want the feature responsible
for suppressing the unwanted filter adapter registrations everywhere,
which is unacceptable.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com