[Zope-CMF] Extending FTI.isConstructionAllowed

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Thu Jun 4 03:34:53 EDT 2009

Previously yuppie wrote:
> After (re)reading all the comments and having a closer look at the code
> I came to these conclusions:
>
> 1.) CMF 2.1 checks two different restrictions: allowType() and
> isConstructionAllowed(). PortalFolderBase._verifyObjectPaste just checks
> allowType() because in CMF 2.1 isConstructionAllowed() does basically
> the same permission check as CopyContainer._verifyObjectPaste. Changing
> isConstructionAllowed() without changing
> PortalFolderBase._verifyObjectPaste creates inconsistent behavior. The
> _checkWorkflowAllowed change and your branch are both broken.

That sounds like there is some opportunity for code sharing there.

> 2.) The distinction between allowType() and isConstructionAllowed() was
> clear in CMF 2.1: allowType() checked a cheap, not permission related
> CMF specific restriction. isConstructionAllowed() checked generic
> permission related restictions. The new restrictions
> _checkWorkflowAllowed and ITypeConstructionFilter don't fit in one of
> these two categories.

Is there a reason that the two have to be separate? What is the downside
of one call that does all necessary checks?

> 3.) I was wrong about comparing isConstructionAllowed with checkFactory
> and checkObject. These are used for checking general container
> constraints, not for checking user specific permissions. checkFactory
> doesn't work for CMF because it doesn't take the portal type as argument.

Right.

> My conclusion:
>
> allowType() and isConstructionAllowed() are both the wrong place for
> checking additional restrictions. But allowType() could become part of a
> more general precondition that could be checked by checkObject and a new
> checkPortalType (=CMF specific checkFactory) function.

How do you see this working? If it's simple enough I might have enough
time to work on it this week.

Wichert.