[Zope-CMF] Improvements to Discussion Items

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 05:45:06 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've been working on improving commenting in Plone. I'm not 100% sure
we'll stay with CMFDefault's idea of Discussion Items forever, but for
now there are a couple of low-risk things that would make them a lot
more useful.

  1) Fire an IObjectAddedEvent when a Discussion Item is created
  2) Fire an IObjectRemovedEvent when a Discussion Item deleted
  3) Do not hardcode the review_state of a Discuss Item. This allows
discussion items to participate in workflow.

  4) Create discussion items based on an IFactory utility rather than
hardcoding the class.

I've implemented 1-3, along with a simple review workflow and indexers
that index the number of comments and the people who've commented on a
content item (to make it easier to find items the current user has
commented on, and to show the number of comments an item has received in
a content listing), in a new Plone product, collective.discussionplus.
There's a file of simple monkey patches to CMFDefault here:

http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/collective.discussionplus/trunk/collective/discussionplus/patches.py

Would it be useful to push this down into CMF itself? I can't promise I
have time to do that (with tests) in the short term, but I'm happy to
help anyone who wants to do it. I may find time later, of course.

Martin