[Zope-CMF] Site syndication form

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Wed Sep 29 15:55:27 EDT 2010

On 09/29/2010 01:16 PM, Charlie Clark wrote:
> Am 29.09.2010, 19:04 Uhr, schrieb Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>:
>
>>> I've added a for site syndication settings which I propose to use to
>>> replace the existing properties tab of the Syndication Tool. Is it okay
>>> do this and register action for the view directly on the default profile
>>> and not just for the views_support extension? That would be my
>>> preference.
>> You need to supply more context here:  I'm not sure what you are asking.
>
> I've added (but not committed) an action to the globals category which is
> tied to this view, ie. the URL expression is
> ${portal_url}/@@syndication.html
> There is no equivalent PythonScript + Template combination for this I
> don't propose on writing one. Thus, far all browser views have been
> implementations of existing (TTW) code.

The tool has properties which represent site-wide defaults for the
interval, etc.  I don't really care about making those editable in the
"front side" of the tapestry (the CMF UI) rather than the "back side"
(the ZMI).

>>> Looking at the implementation of the Syndication Tool it looks like the
>>> Syndication Infos should probably be adapters for IContentish with
>>> relevant methods on the Syndication Tool can use but which should get
>>> deprecation notices. Thoughts?
>
>> They aren't adapters in the classic sense:  they are intended to support
>> per-location policy chhanges, not per-type policies.  It is pretty weird
>> that they don't expose any declared schema, but their job is to sit
>> inside a folder and govern the syndication settings for it and any
>> subobjects (recursively) which don't have their own info.
>
> Thanks for the clarification but that doesn't make them candidates for
> adapters of IFolderish? I just found it confusing that editProperties acts
> on the Syndication Tool but enableSyndication acts on object. But maybe
> it's more important to provide the missing functionality such as the
> policies and reports.

There is no interface to which one could look up an adapter to find such
a policy:  you would potentially need separate marker interfaces, and
duplicate registrations, for every folder in your site.  The syndication
info objects are *data*, not *code*:  the represent setttings in a
place.  The tool uses them to figure out values for the syn:-namespace
elements in the RSS.

Tres,
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com