[Zope-CMF] GenericSetup backport

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue May 31 09:36:36 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Godefroid Chapelle <gotcha at bubblenet.be> wrote:
> What I am actually trying to understand is which versions to give to
> public releases after forking an existing branch.
>
> This is what dev releases are for (as you suggested).

No. I said this is what private releases are for.

> My proposal is then the following : I would publish a
> Products.GenericSetup 1.4.6dev001 release from my backported branch to PyPi.

Sorry, but publishing dev releases is frowned upon on PyPi.

The version numbering scheme we have doesn't allow for you use-case.
You want to effectively fork the 1.4 release series to continue with a
different feature set than we have already gotten in the 1.5 and 1.6
series.

We have a stable feature releases in all of the 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6
series. If you want to introduce any new feature you can only do this
in the 1.6.x or 1.7 release series. Anything else means doing a
private fork and publishing it under some other URL.

It's really not that hard to do that and will only cost you ten
minutes. Anyone who wants to use this version will need a find-links
URL in addition to the version pin, but that's just one extra line of
config. Doing this means keeping things sane and stable for the
majority of users and adding a tiny little bit of extra work for the
few that want to run your backport. I think that is a very sane
approach.

Hanno