[Zope-CMF] GenericSetup backport

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha at bubblenet.be
Tue May 31 10:05:04 EDT 2011

Le 31/05/11 15:36, Hanno Schlichting a écrit :
>> My proposal is then the following : I would publish a
>> >  Products.GenericSetup 1.4.6dev001 release from my backported branch to PyPi.
> Sorry, but publishing dev releases is frowned upon on PyPi.

The arguments against the proposal seem lighter and lighter.

I begin to feel zope-dev like stop energy.

> The version numbering scheme we have doesn't allow for you use-case.
> You want to effectively fork the 1.4 release series to continue with a
> different feature set than we have already gotten in the 1.5 and 1.6
> series.
 >
> We have a stable feature releases in all of the 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6
> series. If you want to introduce any new feature you can only do this
> in the 1.6.x or 1.7 release series. Anything else means doing a
> private fork and publishing it under some other URL.
>
> It's really not that hard to do that and will only cost you ten
> minutes.

True as I told already.

> Anyone who wants to use this version will need a find-links
> URL in addition to the version pin, but that's just one extra line of
> config.

But the user needs to know that he needs to add that line.

> Doing this means keeping things sane and stable for the
> majority of users

Using a dev release does the same without the need for debugging broken
cases where the user did not know.

> and adding a tiny little bit of extra work for the
> few that want to run your backport. I think that is a very sane
> approach.
>
> Hanno

Constructively ;-)
--