[Zope-CMF] [dev] tools as utilities

yuppie y.2011 at wcm-solutions.de
Mon Sep 12 05:32:51 EST 2011

Hi!

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2011, at 11:52 , yuppie wrote:
>> I propose to use 'five.globalrequest' instead of self.REQUEST inside
>> tools. AFAICS that allows to convert *all* tools into utilities.
>
> Why would you want to add a dependency for 3 lines of code? All that package does is register a 1 line event handler. I'd rather do that in the CMF itself.

Because it provides an API that is also used and maintained by other
people. Plone 4.1 depends on it.

> IMHO the "cleaner" way would be to make sure the request object is explicitly passed into any code that needs it.

Sure. But that requires either API changes in the tools or new view
code. The last 4 years nobody did work on this because it is much more
work than 'just' converting tools to utilities.

Cheers,

	Yuppie