[Zope-CMF] [dev] CatalogTool as utility

yuppie y.2011 at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Sep 21 06:57:08 EST 2011

Hi!

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM, yuppie<y.2011-E2EsyBC0hj3+aS/vkh9bjw at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> But an additional ZCatalog branch is an additional maintenance burden.
>> And the required change is small and 100% backwards compatible. The
>> zope.globalrequest dependency could be made optional.
>>
>> Do we really need an extra ZCatalog branch for that?
>
> If there's a completely backwards compatible way of doing, we should do that.
>
> I was under the impression, that we had to do an API change for some
> methods and add a new request argument to those. If that argument is
> required depending on how the tool was retrieved, that's confusing to
> me and I'd rather go the zope.globalrequest route.

I no longer consider modifying ICatalogBrain. The big advantage of using
zope.globalrequest is that we can move forward without discussing API
changes.

I plan to use zope.globalrequest as fallback if self.REQUEST is not
available.

What's the best approach for the five.globalrequest dependency? Just use
zope.globalrequest if it is available? Or specify it in extras_require?
Or add it to install_requires, making it an indirect dependency of the
next Zope 2.13 release?

Cheers,

	Yuppie