[Zope-CMF] [dev] working on the trunk

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Wed Sep 28 16:57:40 EST 2011

Am 27.01.2011, 17:05 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2011 at wcm-solutions.de>:

> zope.formlib is not made for DateTime values and encoded strings. So you
> *always* have to make sure these values are converted correctly. And it
> is hard to do that inside the form code. Obviously you did have trouble
> to get it right that way. After I started using adapters for the edited
> objects I had much less trouble using formlib. Of course you don't need
> an adapter if your objects already provide the right interface.

> And one more benefit: Inside the form code you can completely ignore the
> old-fashioned implementation of the edited objects and write nice modern
> code.

Finally have made the time to look at this. I've written a schema adapter
for the forms and it looks like SettingsEditForm handles the conversion to
Zope's DateTime nicely. Now, I'm stuck with the problem of getting my view
unit tests to work. Looks like I need a few adapters registered. :-/

>> In my defence I hope it's worth noting that we now
>> have tests for a heap of stuff in CMFDefault which previously didn't
>> exist.
>>
>> Regarding SyndicationInfo - I'd appreciate any pointers on writing a
>> migration step. Given the hopelessly outdated state of the current
>> implementation I'm not convinced anyone will need to do the migration

> What was wrong with the old implementation? I never had trouble using
> the old configuration objects and forms. The old RSS template didn't
> work for me, but that's a different issue.

I think the old implementation was just wrong headed to use SimpleItem for
this. But think I've worked out how to do the migration.

>> but
>> then, of course, one of the aims of CMFDefault is to provide exactly
>> this
>> kind of example.
> I'm sure I'm not the only one who has existing CMF sites with
> SyndicationInformation objects in it. Making sure these sites can be
> upgraded without trouble is essential. And not a nice to have extra.
> Especially if the old implementation did work and the new one doesn't
> provide any new features.

I agree that a migration step is necessary and will put one in.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director