[Zope-CMF] [dev] tools as utilities

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 06:09:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> On 09/06/2012 01:37 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got no problem with more than one CMF site in a single Zope
>>> instance;  I just don't want to promote .zexp as the way to migrate
>>> such sites (that is what GS is for, after all).
>>
>> I'm confused now. GenericSetup has never been able to reliably export
>> the content of a Plone site, to my knowledge. I'm sure we could make
>> that happen, of course, but is that really less work than
>
> I have no idea what you man.  GS has been the *only* means I have used
> for migrating CMF / Plone based sites for going on years now:   I haven't
> used a .zexp export to do so in more than a decade (since well before GS
> was even released).
>
> (I am talking about sites with literally millions of content objects, BTW).

Impressive, I usually have gotten errors during the export, because it
tries to export content objects when I don't want to, I just want to
back up the configuration.
Of course, there is the problem that some configuration uses content
objects, so if you try to export just configuration and not content
you have problems anyway, but I don't know what we can do about
that...

(I have to say though that I think the claim that this is what GS is
for probably is news to many. It was always pushed as a way to do
*setup* not exporting content. Ah well).

//Lennart