[Zope-Coders] Zope 2.5 and Python 2.2?

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Sun, 06 Jan 2002 11:02:18 -0500

Martijn Pieters wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 01:41:40PM -0500, Andreas Jung wrote:
>
>>It should be sufficient to copy Makefile.pre.in from a Python 2.1
>>installation to lib/python2.2/config. The installation will then work
>>as expected. However as Guido wrote: Python 2.1.1 is recommended .
>>

> The FreeBSD (or was it OpenBSD) was hoping Zope 2.5 would work smoothly with
> Py 2.2 so he didn't have to maintain a Py 2.1 package as well (or some such
> excuse).

Which brings up a good point -- with 2.5 on its way out, it's time to
start thinking about 2.6 and get the roadmap straight.

Here's some points of fact to start the ball rolling:

1) Zope3 will take up quite a bit of energy and will make major changes
in 2.x less desirable.

2) However, Zope3 won't happen in the first half of 2002, at least for
production sites.  That's too long (IMO) to have nothing new come out
for Zope.

3) We at ZC are happily booked pretty heavy on some good projects,
meaning we won't have a lot of bandwidth for both Zope3 and 2.x.

I propose that planning for a 2.6 focus on the following thoughts:

1) This release is more about community-contributed work than
ZC-contributed work.

2) Compatibility with Python 2.2, perhaps including a change to
distutils, could be a major focus.

3) 2.6 could be pitched as smoothing the path to 3.0 by adopting some of
its ideas.  For instance, 2.5 saw page templates come in, rather than
hold them back for 3.0.  For instance, perhaps the configuration system
being planned for Zope3 could be done for 2.6.

Ultimately the things that go in 2.6 will be governed by what people in
the community are willing to contribute.

So far the extent of contributions has been minor.  Do we need to widen
the pool?  Or do we instead try to get new contributors on the Zope3 track?

--Paul