[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope] WebDAV Locks / 2.4.3/ MS Office 2000

Andreas Jung andreas@andreas-jung.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:14:01 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Withers" <chrisw@nipltd.com>
To: "Joachim Werner" <joe@iuveno-net.de>
Cc: "Jason Earl" <jason.earl@simplot.com>; <zope-coders@zope.org>;
<andreas@zope.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 07:05
Subject: [Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope] WebDAV Locks / 2.4.3/ MS Office 2000

> Basically, if either the 'MS-Author-Via' or 'DAV' headers are set in the
> request, Excel _will_ try and lock the file using a WebDAV LOCK command,
> regardless of whether the user only wants to (or has) read access, or what
the
> OPTIONS response tells it the server _can_ do...
>
> Worse still, thanks to Zope's implementation, only one Anonymous user may
have a
> LOCK on an object at a time.
>
> So, how do we go about modifying Zope so that it only sets those two
headers
> when the user has write access to the object AND the User-Agent is either
> "Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider Cache Manager" or
"Microsoft
> Data Access Internet Publishing Provider DAV"?

What about a switch to disable WebDAV on the HTTP source port ? Zope must
reply
in this case with an "unsupported method" message when trying to call LOCK,
OPTIONS etc.

> PS: On a more thorny note, if I wanna get these changes into the Zope
core, I'll
> need tests. How on earth do I go about writing tests for this?

That is hard. Depending on the complexity of the
hack/fix/what-ever-you-call-it some extended
tests might be sufficient. E.g. there is no unittest for the
Office2k/WebDAV/Locking problem
fixed in 2.4.4.

- aj