[Zope-Coders] WebDAV switches, seperate ports and testing.

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:34:22 +0000

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
>
> > Evan Simpson wrote:
> >
> >>No, can't do that yet.  Zope 3, of course, will solve this with its
> >>extensible configuration files.  For now, I think pushing Brian's web
> >>services stuff will help.
> >
> > I'll just punt then :-(
> >
> > It does kinda show how un-OSS friendly Zope 2 is. Here's a problem which I havea
> > business need to solve, but to solve it for everyone else is too much of a pain
> > for me to justify, so I've just fixed it with a hack and will wait...
>
> I'm surprised you would say this.  Zope 2 is very OSS friendly.
> Technical obstacles happen in every project, open source or not, Chris.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make ;-)

>From what I've seen of Zope 3, it's very modular and had there been an issue
like this, I could have come up with a solution which I could then share with
everyone so they could all get the benefit.

However, because Zope 2 is very monolithic in feel, to fix this properly sounds
like it'd need lots of big changes.

That said, I'm tempted just to have a knock around with Z2.py and see what I can
do. Would I need to do a fishbowl proposal for this or should I just do the work
on a branch and invite someone else to merge?

cheers,

Chris