[Zope-Coders] WebDAV switches, seperate ports and testing.

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:58:25 -0500

Toby Dickenson wrote:

>>>I'm surprised you would say this.  Zope 2 is very OSS friendly.
>>>Technical obstacles happen in every project, open source or not, Chris.
>>>

>>However, because Zope 2 is very monolithic in feel, to fix this properly
>>sounds like it'd need lots of big changes.
>>

> Remember that it *wasnt* open source when all of these components were laid
> out. I think Chris is right, and Im sure Zope 3 will feel different.

Ah, good point.  (Although lots of other OSS projects also have a
monolithic feel.)

Zope 3 has a new publisher, and the HTTP part is designed to allow you
to plug in different HTTP "payload handlers".  Right now the only
payload handler is the "web browser" payload handler.  We will also
create a WebDAV payload handler and an XML-RPC payload handler, and
maybe a SOAP payload handler.

Then we will possibly create an "autodetect" payload handler.  The
autodetector gives you the equivalent of today's HTTP support.  It
simply delegates to (or replaces itself with) one of the real payload
handlers.

You'll be able to plug in whichever payload handler you want (per port)
through configuration and/or programming.

Shane