[Zope-Coders] Re: [ZC] 187/ 2 Comment "Zope 2.5.0 still crashing on W2K"

Ian Clatworthy ianc@mincom.com
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 09:41:00 +1000

"Collector: Zope Bugs and Patches ..." wrote:

> Issue #187 Update (Comment) "Zope 2.5.0 still crashing on W2K"
>  Status Pending, Zope/bug critical
> To followup, visit:
>   http://collector.zope.org/Zope/187

> = Comment - Entry #2 by matt on Jan 31, 2002 10:30 am
>
> Please detail as much as possible about your setup with Zope.  What additional products you have installed, and what you are invoking as a matter of course which leads up to the crash.
>
> While it is noteworthy to know that 2.5.0 did not solve every problem, without additional detail it is impossible to further diagnose the situation.

I submitted the bug as anonymous so I can't find a way to followup
on the collector site now. :-(

Zope packages we're running are:

* CMF 1.1
* CMFOptions 1.11
* DCWorkflow 0.4.1
* LocalFS 0.97
* Formulator 1.0.1
* exUserFolder 0.10.4

I've made some very minor changes to code in CMF 1.1 and CMFOptions 1.11
and customized lots of CMF stuff, particularly Skins & Types. Parts of
the site were originally built using Zope 2.3.2. It was
migrated to 2.4.3 several months back and migrated to 2.5.0
a few days back. Over that time, the site has continued to
evolve rapidly in terms of both functionality and content.
At no stage have I run upgrade scripts of any kind to convert
2.3.2 stuff to later versions, although I manually rebuilt
the catalog.

Of the 2 crashes I've had, one was clicking on an action in the
action box (View against a Document, I think) and the other was
clicking on a folder name in a "home-grown" breadcrumb line.
Here's the bit of DTML code for each link in the breadcrumb:

In summary, the crashes appeared to occur on "basic"
navigation and action selection in a CMF 1.11 site. Both the
Zope server and web browser were running
on a disconnected laptop running Windows 2K Professional
with Service Pack 1 installed.

FWIW, we are also seeing occasions when Zope just fails
to respond but doesn't actually crash with a dialog box.
On one occasion, it came back after 2-3 minutes but we
usually restart the process if there's no life after
3-4 minutes. These hang occasions were on a different box
with 3-5 of us accessing the server every minute or two.

Note that the site itself is effectively an information-base
containing documentation for our product together with
portal-style features including a news log, personalized home
pages, etc. As such, we install it on lots of different machines.
I don't believe any of the problems above are machine specific.

My team will continue to monitor 2.5.0 behaviour and
provide whatever information we can. Anything in particular
you want to know or want us to look for?

Ian C.
--
Ian Clatworthy
Principal Architect - MineStar

http://www.mincom.com
Mincom. The People. The Experience. The Vision.

delete
it and notify the sender. The contents of this E-mail are the opinion of
the
writer only and are not endorsed by Mincom Limited unless expressly
stated
otherwise.

--
This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  The contents of this e-mail are the opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless expressly stated otherwise.