[Zope-Coders] Re: Changes to ZPublisher

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Wed Oct 6 23:24:44 EDT 2004

Donovan Baarda wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 12:11, Tres Seaver wrote:
>
>>The alternatives are:
>>
>>   - As Sidnei proposed, have the publisher map {Attribute,Key}Errors
>>     raised by __bobo_traverse__ onto NotFound, except when running in
>>     debug mode.  Don't modify unrestrictedTraverse at all.
>

> The fact that this is off in debug mode is good... I'm slowly being
> converted into a +1 for AttributeError = 404.
>
> I'm definitely still -1 for AttributeError in __bobo_traverse__ means
> fallback to __getattr__, which was the second part of the branch.

Right;  I think Sidnei has already reverted that part.

> Does anyone currently really use and expect returning None to mean "no
> docstring"?

The "no docstring" is because the "published" object is None.  The
publisher refuses to render any published object which has no docstring,
due to a very early piece of bobo DWIM:  it was an attempt to
distinguish between methods which were part of the object's public API
vs. its private implementation.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com