[Zope-Coders] Re: Changes to ZPublisher

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Wed Oct 13 09:56:26 EDT 2004

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2004 10:33 Uhr -0300 Sidnei da Silva
> <sidnei at awkly.org> wrote:
>
>> | The publisher's job has always been to mediate between what the protocl
>> | (HTTP) expects, and what the application delivers.  In this case, the
>> | difference is between having the HTTP response code be 404, or
>> having it
>> | be 500.  Making either choice is DWIM ("do what I mean");  it
>> happens to
>> | be consistent with the other publisher code (immediately following the
>> | test for __bobo_traverse__) to treat it as a 404 instead of a 500.
>> |
>> | In debug mode, we should prefer a 500, because it preserves the
>> original
>> | exception information;  this is the current behavior for errors raised
>> | from getattr / getitem, and would be the behavior under Sidnei's
>> | proposed change.
>>
>> That's correct.
>>
>> The thread seems to have died here, and I don't think we came to a
>> consensus if it should be merged to 2.7 and trunk or just trunk.
>

> Please include your patch on the SVN trunk but not on the 2.7 branch.
> I don't see the benefits for having the changes on  the  2.7 branch
> especially
> not for the upcoming 2.7.3 final release.

Sidnei came up with the patch while trying to implement correct
traversal for Five, which is intended to work with the currently
released 2.7.x.

I *don't* think this is a feature;  I think it is a bugfix.  However,
Andreas is the release manager, and if he thinks it is too risky for
2.7.3, then we need to respect that.  In that case, I *do* think it
should land the moment 2.7.3 is tagged.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com