[Zope-DB] Oracle and Zope on Linux

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:54:27 -0400

D.Rick Anderson wrote:

>Hello all. I'm trying to get an Oracle connection with my Linux Zope box. It keeps telling me
>that it needs libclntsh.so.8.0. My ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_BASE are set correctly
>and it tells me what directory it is looking for it in, but I can't find the the file there. I can't
>find it anywhere on the system for that matter.
>
>I couldn't find the Oracle linux client for download on the net so I bought 8.1.5 on a CD
>from an online store and installed it. It seemed to install just fine, but libclntsh.so.8.0 is
>nowhere to be found.
>
>Here's the stats:
>
>RedHat Linux 7.1
>Zope 2.3.2
>Oracle 8.1.5
>ZOracleDA 2.1.0
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rick Anderson
>ComNett Computer Services

Hi Rick,

The library "libclntsh.so.8.0" should be in your $ORACLE_HOME/lib
directory -- however, you usually need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
$ORACLE_HOME/lib.  The "oraenv" script (usually installed in
/usr/local/bin) will do this, e.g.

djinn(5)$ . oraenv
ORACLE_SID = [ORAC] ? <return>

Note that that's a source command "." from bash; if you're a C shell
user I dont think there's an equivalent to oraenv that you can "source"
instead.