[Zope-DB] How can I dynamically generate a Z Search Interface?

Tena Sakai tena.sakai.b@bayer.com
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:57:11 -0700

Dieter,

Thanks for your response, but I am far from getting it.

      > I am not sure, what you want precisely:
I think you know what I want, but let me be precise.
I have a page that has a form.  The form is made of a
bunch of checkboxes and next to each box there is a
mentioning of a column name of a table.  A user checks
or unchecks each box to his/her liking and presses the
submit button.  The submit button invokes an action
(a dtml method I wrote) which outputs a SQL statement
(something like SELECT FOO, MAN, CHU FROM MYTABLE).
I want to programmatically generate a Z Search Interface
based on this FOO MAN CHU thing.  In other words, I
want to execute this query and return the table to the
browser.

      > You create Z SQL Methods dynamically and want Z
      > Search Interfaces for them, right?
Correct.

      > This is easy, when the Z SQL Methods are created
      > as persistent objects inside the ZODB.
I have no idea what "persistent object" really means.
At the moment, I can output to the browser the query
strings, the SQL statement(s).  Does this qualify as
persistent object?  I feel safe to say that the dtml
that generates SQL statement(s) is a persistent object.

      > Then, my standard hint applies: whatever you can
      > do via the ZMI, you can do programmatically. Look
      > at the relevant ZMI source and learn how it does
      > its task...
I am afraid I have no luxury of looking at the source
at this time and your hint is a bit too faint for me.

      > Search the mailing list archives for "ZMI" and
      > "programmatically" to learn more.
I have just done that, but nothing tangible comes to
mind.  Please tell me mechanism/frame work I must use.

Do I (with the query variables (such as column names
and table name)) call some method from dtml level?  Or
do I use external method?  Or is there something not
even on my horizon?

Thanks in advance.

Tena Sakai

                      Dieter Maurer
                      <dieter@handshake        To:       "Tena Sakai" <tena.sakai.b@bayer.com>
                      .de>                     cc:       zope-db@zope.org
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [Zope-DB] How can I dynamically generate a Z Search
                      zope-db-admin@zop         Interface?
                      e.org

                      08/30/2002 01:35
                      PM

Tena Sakai writes:
 > So far what I have been doing is to generate Z Search Interface
 > statically.  Ie., I have some Z SQL method, which typically looks
 > like:
 >       select  *
 >         from  mytable
 >
 > and then I manually "add" Z Search Interface based on this Z SQL
 > method.  I use resultant dtml method in the way I want.  It works
 > quite well.
 >
 > But now I want to do this dynamically.
I am not sure, what you want precisely:

  You create Z SQL Methods dynamically and want Z Search Interfaces
  for them, right?

  This is easy, when the Z SQL Methods are created as persistent
  objects inside the ZODB.
  Then, my standard hint applies: whatever you can do via
  the ZMI, you can do programmatically. Look at the relevant
  ZMI source and learn how it does its task...

  Search the mailing list archives for "ZMI" and "programmatically"
  to learn more.

Dieter