[Zope-DB] variable names from DCO2 sql-method

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:13:47 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Smith, Neil" <Neil.Smith@npower.com>
To: <zope-db@zope.org>
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 11:42 AM
Subject: [Zope-DB] variable names from DCO2 sql-method

> I just noticed that after calling a SQL method, I can refer to the
selected
> columns by variables either in all uppercase or all lowercase, or mixed
case
> where I have specifically named a column in mixed case.  Should it do
this?
> I would have expected it to just pass the result in whatever case the
column
> name actually is, i.e uppercase unless explicitly defined otherwise.
>
> Neil

Hi!

I *think* that this is a consequence of the fact that column names in SQL
are not case sensitive normally. For example, in Oracle you explicitly have
to name your colums in mixed case for them to be mixed case:

create table "MonKey" (
  "wrEnch"         varchar2(2),
  "l33tSPeaK"      number(2,2),
  NoMatterWhatCase varchar2(10)
)

the column NoMatterWhatCase can be accessed as NOMATTERWHATCASE or any other
combination of small/caps but not the other two columns. i believe this is
true for Postgress as well, but am not sure and, frankly, I haven't bothered
to check ;)

Hope this helps,

/dario

PS: is it possible for you to trim your sig a bit w/o you getting killed by
Company Policy Police?