[Zope-DB] Problem with Psycopg?

Stylus zope@stylusinc.net
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:42:32 +0530

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C220E3.C5B05D50

Hi

I want to appreciate all the help you guys gave me. I was finally able
to solve the problem - I just deleted psycopg completely and started all
over with the psycopg installation. I have documented my approach in the
attached file. Please pass it on to others who would require a newbie's
installation with Mandrake ver 8. It's a little bit specific in some
ways and generic in other ways - so probably needs some more tweaking
but anyone using psycopg with non Debian installations will require
guides like this unless they are experts with the linux environment.

Thanks for all the guidance you guys provided. You gave me the
confidence to keep trying until we got through.

bobby

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-db-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-db-admin@zope.org] On Behalf
Of Federico Di Gregorio
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 6:30 PM
To: Le grande pinguin
Cc: Stylus; Dieter Maurer; rhires@earthlink.net; zope-db@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope-DB] Problem with Psycopg?

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Le grande pinguin's letter:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 01:28:31PM +0530, Stylus wrote:
> =>  MISSING-LINKER ./module.o ./connection.o ./cursor.o ./typeobj.o
> ./typemod.o  -L/usr/lib -lpq  -o ./psycopgmodule
>
>  The configure script can't find the appropriate linker and tries to
> execute ./module.o ....
>
>  Hmmm, kind of hard to tell _why_ configure failed to detect the
> linker but it sounds a bit  like your development environment is
> messed up :-/

this happens from time to time i was was *never* able to reproduce it.
please, if it hapens to you, send me config.log and config.cache so that
i can understand what's happening.

--
Federico Di Gregorio
  Those who do not study Lisp are doomed to reimplement it. Poorly.

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C220E3.C5B05D50

This is for newbies like me who are using Mandrake installations with =
Zope and Postgres.=0A=
=0A=
1. Download Zope, mx modules and psycopg from the respective sites=0A=
I used the following versions from their respective sits :=0A=
- egenix-mx-base-2.0.3.tar.gz=0A=
- psycopg-1.0.8.tar.gz=0A=
- Zope-2.5.1-linux2-x86.tgz=0A=
=0A=
2. Lets presume you are in your home folder=0A=
3. Install Zope by unzipping first using=0A=
> tar -zxvf Zope-2.5.1-linux2-x86.tgz=0A=
> mv Zope-2.5.1-linux2-x86 Zope-2.5.1=0A=
(I renamed the dir because I prefer smaller dir names)=0A=
and then follow the Zope "INSTALL.txt" found in the subfolder "doc/"=0A=
At the end of this you should have Zope-2.5.1 folder in your home folder.=0A=
=0A=
4. If you are using Mandrake ver 8.2 (should work for 8.1 also) then you =
need get Python2.1 because Mandrake installs Python2.2 by default.=0A=
Go to www.python.org and under the download section get the following =
rpms=0A=
- python2.1-2.1.3-1.i386.rpm=0A=
- python2.1-devel-2.1.3-1.i386.rpm=0A=
This step might be absolutely necessary for most installations cause you =
may not have Python development libraries. Don't skip this.=0A=
4a. Switch over as root user if you are not. (su)=0A=
4b. Install the python rpms by doing the following :=0A=
> rpm -i --nodeps python2.1-2.1.3-1.i386.rpm=0A=
(I got an error on dependencies and so I used --nodeps because i already =
had python2.2 and the dependencies required were already existing)=0A=
> rpm -i python2.1-devel-2.1.3-1.i386.rpm=0A=
=0A=
5. Now we can proceed to install egenix as below :=0A=
Make sure exit the root login and are back in your home folder.=0A=
> tar -zxvf egenix-mx-base-2.0.3.tar.gz=0A=
> cd egenix-mx-base-2.0.3=0A=
> ~/Zope-2.5.1/bin/python setup.py install=0A=
=0A=
6. Next lets install psycopg=0A=
> cd=0A=
> tar -zxvf psycopg-1.0.8.tar.gz=0A=
> cd psycopg-1.0.8=0A=
> ./configure --with-postgres-libraries=3D/usr/lib =
--with-postgres-includes=3D/usr/include/pgsql=0A=
--with-mxdatetime-includes=3D/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/mx/DateTime=
/mxDateTime=0A=
--with-zope=3D~/Zope-2.5.1 --with-python=3D~/Zope-2.5.1/bin/python=0A=
--with-python-version=3D2.1 =
--with-python-exec-prefix=3D/home/zope/Zope-2.5.1=0A=
> su=0A=
> make=0A=
> make install=0A=
> exit=0A=
> make install-zope=0A=
=0A=
If the last step fails just move the dir ZPsycopgDA like this...=0A=
> mv ZPsycopgDA ~/Zope-2.5.1/lib/python/Products/=0A=
also mv this file which is in your Zope folder=0A=
> mv ~/Zope-2.5.1/psycopgmodule.so =
~/Zope.2.5.1/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/=0A=
=0A=
7. Thats it. Now start zope=0A=
> ~/Zope-2.5.1/start &=0A=
=0A=
That should do it. I am sure there will be some problems as our =
configurations differ and=0A=
also since most of you out there are newbies like me so just post on the =
mailing lists like I did.=0A=
That helps cause you get some clues that will guide your thinking to =
your specific problem.=0A=
=0A=
Hope this was useful.
------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C220E3.C5B05D50--