[Zope-DB] Re: [Zope] Zope Scaling (and Groups of Users)

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:01:33 +0200

Eric Seidel writes:
 > 1.  Zope/ZEO Scaling.  I spent several hours over the past 3 days
 > reading about Zope scalability with ZEO.  I am now looking for numbers.
 > Two questions (nearly one and the same) which I did not find answered:
This is not a question about ZEO but about the used "Storage".

Toby Dickenson (name maybe misspelled) has recently given some
estimations for the standard storage, "FileStorage".
Search the archives, please...

 > How
 > many items can I have in a folder?
Normal folders store their content in a tuple.
If you access the folder, the complete tuple is fetched into memory.
You do not want this for large numbers of items.
Use a BTreeFolder in this case. As the name tells, it uses
a tree structure to store the content. Access is far more fine
grained than with standard Folders.

 > b.  Numbers.  There were no specific configuration numbers which I
 > found.  How many objects?  How many users?  How much data?
Search for Toby's message...

 > I'm looking to be able to handle at least 40,000 user objects and a
 > similar number of other larger data objects of various sizes (2k -
 > 20k+).  Users could be pushed off to an ldap server or some other
 > environment via the LoginManager Mod etc, however I would still have
 > 40,000 user folders in a single folder.
With a BTreeFolder, I would not be worried with this number.

Dieter