[Zope-DB] Maximum Zope objects in a database

Le grande pinguin rm@mh-freiburg.de
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:01:01 +0200

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 05:24:25PM -0400, Jim Penny wrote:

> If you are using an external database, this is really not a zope
> question at all.  It comes down to how fast the database can prepare and
> execute the query.  And this depends on all sorts of database
> optimization, on system RAM, probably filesystem layout, etc.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but once you access these objects they move
from the database to core memory. Depending on the access pattern for
these objects you might run into problems with python's garbage collector
as well. Even accessing only a few objects at a time but changeing these
few will create excessive creation of objects that need to be collected
soon afterwards.

> Note that the ZSQL methods typically simply send a query as a string to
> the database system.  They do not generally do prepare operations,
> stored queries, etc.

But you can call stored procedures.

Ralf Mattes