[Zope-DB] Python Scripts and Database Connections

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Mon, 13 May 2002 08:53:37 -0400

Unfortunately, you cannot do this really easily.  You sort-of-can, in
that you can write either python scripts to create the DA object but not
add it to any object manager, so that it is deleted when it is
dereferenced.  Arguably, you'd want to attach it to a SESSION type
container so that it persists for your session duration.

You'd do that by calling its manage_addSoAndSoConnection method.   Since
the DA doesn't exist yet, you'll still need to clone a different  DA's
base python code to make it.

DA's create connections when they are called, so you can just call it to
get a connection object back.  The connection object has a query method,
which takes an SQL query string and executes it.  However, a lot of this
isn't intended to be called from DTML or python scripts, so you may have
to finesse it quite a bit.