[Zope-DB] SQL optimisation

Charlie Clark charlie@begeistert.org
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:03:13 +0100

On 2002-11-01 at 16:47:19 [+0100], Matthew T. Kromer wrote:
> Can you give me a hint what database you are using?  For Oracle, you can
> turn on the query analyzer and see what it is doing.  If you were using
> Oracle and you weren't using the cost based analyzer (but were using the
> older predictive optimizer instead, because your DBA hadn't turned on the=

> necessary stuff for the newer analyzer) it can make a *huge* difference
> in how your data comes back.

Yes, I'm currently using MySQL but that's mainly because it was the easiest=

to install on my notebook and my ISP supports it as well.

>From what I have read it seems like a good idea to switch DBs at some point=

and I would probably switch to Postgresql so that I can use things like
Views and Subselects (would be useful in this I think) and all the things
MySQL doesn't support. Marc-Andr=E9 Lemburg also recommends using the SAP
database but I don't know if that's supported under Zope; it would
certainly be more difficult to get on my ISP.

I'm glad I decided to feed the database with some test data before to try
these kinds of things before going live.

Charlie