[Zope-DB] Postgres - Problem creating new databases

Charlie Clark charlie@begeistert.org
Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:18:41 +0100

On 2002-11-08 at 12:12:15 [+0100], Andrew Veitch wrote:
> Thanks for that, maybe I should have explained in more detail.
>
> The product I'm writing is an Operational Support System for setting up
> new customers on our system - so instead of us having to add Zope
> products manually, create postgres users, create databases every time a
> new customer signs up it'll be done automatically.
>
> I think the problem is that Zope is creating a transaction around what
> I'm doing which is pretty useful behaviour generally apart from in this
> one case...

OSS? cool. Love to hear more about it off-list.

So each customer needs their own database/user combination?

You might try using a different Python driver / DA combination such as the
older PyGreSQL system: at least to set up databases and users. You may well
have to use an ExternalMethod as well to be outside of the Zope transaction.

Psycopg and the related Zope DA has been optimised for concurrent users as
I understand it, ie. queries where the resources required for setting up
individual connections for each user is really important.

Charlie