[Zope-DB] SQL optimisation: follow up

mlist@fissgus.de mlist@fissgus.de
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:20:43 +0100

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> schrieb am 12.11.2002, 12:23:23:

> Hmm, the fact that SAP DB got slower during the process
> indicates that there was a resource problem. If you don't
> commit your work every now and then, then the transaction log
> will fill up considerably and this results in poor performance.
> The same is probably true for PostgreSQL.
If I remember it right: sapdb was running with auto-commit on.
I think I also stopped the indexing-process and restarted it again;
no effect: inserting continued extremely slow.
Anyway: I am sure, doing some optimizing would have helped; my focus
was on finding a 'good' and fast web indexing engine.
The side-effect was to evaluate sapdb...

> That tells me that you're comfortable with the PostgreSQL
> ODBC driver. Perhaps I should have a look again...
well, at least my colleagues didn't complain too much (yet!)

> Even Oracle crashes every now and then. BTW, one thing to never
> do with SAP DB is to switch off power... on at least one machine
> we are using this corrupts the indexes.
consider yourself 'lucky', you can recreate them. :-)
other people from the mailinglist had to recover from a backup...

Chris