[Zope-DB] Re: Test for equality to Missing.Value (empty field)?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@yahoo.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:19:02 -0500

> * there's no support for providing an offset into the result set;
>    this makes browsing large query sets very slow and memory
>    intense
> * the de-facto "standards" for .tables() and .columns() have
>    inconsistent interfaces
> Are there any activities to solve these problems ? Something
> like a DB-API for Zope internal use ?

Wherever there's talk of formalizing a DB-API, I advocate a python adaptation of the
ADO.NET DataSet API. It supports typed recordets, table metadata, find- and indexed
access, relations, update comparison, filters and views of one or multiple tables, for
openers. Having used  the API in C#, it feels like it would be a great fit with python,
using python's natural data structures both in implementation and parameterization of the
API.

OReilly's http://www.ondotnet.com/topics/dotnet/ado.net has a pretty unbiased five-part
intro article.

(C#) Source for reference would be available throught http://go-mono.org/ado-net.html,
they have their implementation up and running. Gadfly's table implementation may be well
suited. I don't have the expertise to implement it, but I can well imagine how useful it
would be for python programmers and potential converts coming from .NET.