DA weaknesses (was: Re: [Zope-DB] Re: Re: Test for equality to Missing.Value (empty field)?)

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 22:25:07 +0100

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
 > Some other things which I found while writing the DA:
 >
 > * floats returned from the database are automagically converted
 >    to integers in the ZODBCDA if the scale is 0 -- I wonder whether
 >    that's a good idea, because integers can overflow (the mxODBC
 >    Zope DA uses longs for these cases).
A long int might be a better approximation than a float in this case.

  This may break old Zope versions (though that still use Python 1.5.2)
  because there "str(long_int)" appends 'l' which many applications
  may not expect.

I would probably try to convert "scale 0" floats and also
SQL integer to Python "int" and when this fails I would
convert to Python "long".

 > * there's no query interface which allows usage of bound
 >    parameters (as defined in the DB-API); the result is that
 >    data in query strings is restricted in size to what the database
 >    interfaces can handle, e.g. Oracle has a 4k byte for SQL
 >    literals.
This is a well known weakness.

It has probably not been tackled because nobody felt I
has an excellent idea how to use it via Z SQL Methods.

 >    I would welcome a standard interface of the form
 >    .execute(sql, paramtuple, maxrows=None)
I would like that very much.

 > * there's no support for providing an offset into the result set;
 >    this makes browsing large query sets very slow and memory
 >    intense
I would like that too - mostly on aesthetical grounds.

I think, its practical value may be limited: few use cases
require browsing a result set of several thousand records.

However, it would make programmatic handling of such
result sets possible directly in Zope. Nowadays, they
usually have to be made external to Zope or done in
an External Method.

 > * the de-facto "standards" for .tables() and .columns() have
 >    inconsistent interfaces
... and seems to be re-implemented by each DA.
I am almost sure, there could be some common code whith only
the base access to the database scheme being DA specific.

 > Are there any activities to solve these problems ?
If there is something, it is probably in the form
of a proposal on <http://dev.zope.org>.
But, I fear, there are no activate projects on any of these
issues.

Dieter