[Zope-DB] ZODBC dictonaries

Le grande pinguin rm@mh-freiburg.de
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:46:12 +0200

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:07:45PM +0200, Oliver Marx wrote:

> > As I understand the concept of Zope DAs, these are components
> > which the user can install at will. The interfaces are standardized
> > so switching DAs shouldn't be a problem for the user, provided
> > that the applications built on top stick to the standard
> > interfaces.
> >
> > That kind of strategy has proven to work well in the past
> > (certainly in the ODBC driver world and in general for middleware),
> > so I don't see any problem with licenses.
> >

> Well, isn't it obvious? :)
> If the product relies on a DB then a DA is needed. If that DA is
> commercial. Then the product is no longer free or Open Source. So your
> DA can only be a temporary solution.

No, it's not obvious at all! If a product relies on "a" DA then it shouldn't
depend on a _specific_ DA. There are _plenty_ of open sourced DA available
for ZOPE (i can't and won't comment on their stability). Iff your product relies
on a _specific_ DA then many on this list would consider this a major design
error. Also, in all fairness, from the above i get the strong impression that
you mix 'open source' with 'free of cost' , or could you please elaborate on
why the open sorecedness of a DA affects you being able to publish the sources
of your product.

As a side note: i have problems seeing the point of a ODBC DA at all: ODBC
is an abstraction layer to hide database driver specifics to ease migration
from one database to another. This is pretty much the same as python's DA
aproach or perl's DBI module. What's the point?

  Ralf Mattes