[Zope-DB] Zope on RedHat 9

Matthew T. Kromer matt at zope.com
Wed Aug 13 15:55:21 EDT 2003

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Matthew T. Kromer wrote:
>
>> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>
>>> Will 2.7 final also be available in binary form ?
>>

>> I dont think so.  Maybe for windows only.
>

> Is there a strategic reason for that ?

Strategic?  I dont think that is as much as it is a sign of an updated
buildout process for 2.7 which is different from our prior buildout
processes.

There MAY be more binary builds; but I won't be the one building them (I
think!) so I'm less clear on what the answer is.  I can safely predict a
windows build because there is no native Python or C compiler support on
Windows, ergo we have to provide a binary.

Chris McDonough knows a lot more about what the new build process looks
like.

In the past we've gotten beaten about by the build variability on
different platforms, and never really found a good solution.

In a similar vein, a major reason I haven't issued any more binary
builds for DCOracle2 is because the build complexity is now:

    3 versions of Python (1.5.2, 2.1.3, 2.2.2) * 3 platforms (Windows,
RedHat 7.3, Solaris 8) * 3 revs of Oracle (8.1.7, 9.0.1, 9.1.x) = major
pain in the ass.

That doesn't count the variability amongst Linux releases (just look at
Red Hat, e.g. Oracle 8.1 is spec'd for RedHat 6.2, etc).

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/