[Zope-DB] ANN: eGenix mxODBC Zope Database Adapter, Version 1.0.0

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Sun, 02 Mar 2003 07:53:09 -0000

--On 28 February 2003 18:55 +0100 "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> wrote:

> The mxODBC Zope DA implements thread-safe connection pooling and
> multiple physical connects per logical Zope connection. You can safely
> run Z SQL Methods in parallel, achieving a much better performance
> than ZODBC Zope DA or similar Zope database adapters under heavy load.
> This makes it ideal for deployment in Zope Clusters and Zope hosting
> environments where stability and high performance are a top priority.

> FEATURES

<List of features snipped>

Can someone who has a deeper understanding of this area than
I please contrast (ideally against the mxODBC Zope DA feature list)
things with ZOracleDA/DCOracle2?

The links from <http://www.egenix.com/> took me eventually to
<http://www.datadirect-technologies.com/products/odbc/ken-north-report.asp>
and the "Oracle ODBC Performance - Faster than Native" stuff.

>From birth I've always been told ODBC is sloooowww .... don't go
there. Might mxODBC Zope DA offer advantages to Zope/Oracle sites?

We've had a tortured history with Zope+Oracle+Solaris (cf.
<http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/solaris>) and are about to
side-step this by going Zope+Oracle+Linux.

But the Oracle bit (i.e. ZOracleDA/DCOracle2) of the equation still
looks dubious from time to time and so hence my questions.

TIA

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/