Zope+Oracle efficiency (was Re: [Zope-DB] ANN: eGenix mxODBC Zope Database Adapter, Version 1.0.0)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:59:45 +0100

Dario Lopez-K=E4sten wrote:
> well, I am no expert either but AFAIK Oracle uses SQL*NET for ODBC
> communications (ODBC sits on top of SQL*NET). Not sure if this is slowe=
r or
> not. I also have the impression that ODBC is slower per se, but perhaps
> coupled with better connection pooling it makes mxODBC faster?

Whether the ODBC driver uses SQL*NET or not depends on the
ODBC driver being used, e.g. Data-Direct has drivers which
talk the Oracle wire-protocol directly and thus can achieve a
better performance.

Of course, the only way to find out is by testing the setup
in the intended target environment.

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 04 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     28 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                       112 days left