[Zope-DB] Database Adaptor for Oracle 9i

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 16:17:18 -0400

Sidnei da Silva wrote:

>On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:34:21PM -0400, Matthew T. Kromer wrote:
>| Rima Gerhard wrote:
>|
>| >I am really sorry if this have been asked before, but I couldn't find
>| >any info on this subject at all. My department just updated to Oracle
>| >9i from 8i. I was using DCOracle2 for Oracle 8i and everything worked
>| >fine, but ever since they have upgraded, I cannot use DCOracle2 any
>| >more. Does anybody know how to fix this or know of another product
>| >that I could use?
>| >Thanks a lot!
>| >-rima.
>| >

>| If you can build from source, just rebuild DCOracle2 against oracle 9i
>| libraries.  It should work just fine.
>
>I know that this may sound like a stupid thing to do, but recently I
>installed DCOracle on a server where I had the 9i client installed,
>but for some reason, they installation didnt had oci.h. Trying to
>install the binary DCOracle, it was looking for a file named
>libclntsh.so.8.0, and obviously it wont find. Then I linked
>libclntsh.so.9.0 to libclntsh.so.8.0 and it apparently worked.
>
>Now, my question: how much trouble can I get into by doing this? :)
>
>[]'s

ieeeee!

Well, Probably its all fine, the OCI entry point names wont have
changed, and DCOracle2 linked against Oracle 8 wont try to use any
Oracle 9 calls (to be honest, I think the only thing it does is change a
few lists around at this time, it doesnt leverage any of the new OCI
features).

So you're probably 100% OK doing that ... /shudder.  :)

I may release more binaries for DCOracle2, but I rarely work on the
product except for the occasional bugfix, and packaging 3 platforms * 3
python versions * 2 Oracle versions is a total nuisance.  I like
distributing source, I distribute the binaries only as a convenience.

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/