[Zope-DB] mxODBC connection to SQL Server 2000 freezes Zope

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Sat Nov 8 06:24:27 EST 2003

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Tim Edwards wrote at 2003-11-7 12:05 +1100:
>  > ...
>  > The problem is that the
>  > database connection sometimes freezes the Zope instance. When this occurs it
>  > becomes difficult to access the Zope management interface - we keep getting
>  > 'Cannot Find Server' messages
>
> What a strange message. Never heard of something like this.
 >
> It does not sound like a Zope problem but more like a DNS problem.
> But not all programs generate error messages that give a good
> clue to the error cause...

One possible reason could be that the ODBC driver has problems
finding the MS SQL Server on the network. To avoid this, it is
usually a good idea to put the name - IP mapping for the SQL Server
machine directly into the /etc/hosts file on the Linux machine,
provided that the mapping doesn't change too often.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 08 2003)