[Zope-DB] How to do analysis? (was Re: Saga continues...)

Matthew T. Kromer matt at zope.com
Mon Oct 6 16:07:48 EDT 2003

Dieter Maurer wrote:

>Matthew T. Kromer wrote at 2003-10-3 09:42 -0400:
> > For my part, from the RDBMS user's perspective, the way DCOracle2 handes
> > the Zope layer is very far from the ideal.  It really wants some kind of
> > connection manager object that is independant from the actual connection
> > objects used by threads, and controls and manages state for those
> > threads.
>
>Why?
>
>I am quite happy with the current architecture (apart from the
>automatic connection in "__setstate__" which I have removed in our
>Zope version).
>The only bad thing I can see is that a few more connections
>are opened than are strictly necessary.
>This is only a problem when you have lots of DA instances
>lying around (while you need only one per database).
>

>Dieter

I would particuarly like to see combined state management give increased
opportunities for debugging.  Some of this is best managed when using a
independant point-in-time monitor, ie one that can see ALL database
stream activity as it occurs, not just on a thread-specific basis.

Likewise, I hate wasting connections to the DB.  Four Zope threads can
over time establish four Oracle connections, when the likelyhood is that
only one or two connections are needed.  For customers that pay Oracle
on a per-connection basis, using up extra licensed connections is a bad
thing.  Furthermore, a central monitor can have a better notion of what
connections are established and could act to set up or tear down
connections (ie to implement a connection timeout in Zope).

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/