[Zope-DB] How do you count users? (was: How to do analysis? (was Re: Saga continues...))

Dieter Fischer (grid-it) dieter.fischer at grid-it.ch
Tue Oct 7 11:31:25 EDT 2003

Hello

zope-db-bounces at zope.org <mailto:zope-db-bounces at zope.org> sprach am :

> Dieter Maurer wrote:
>
>> Matthew T. Kromer wrote at 2003-10-3 09:42 -0400:
> ... For customers that pay Oracle on a
> per-connection basis, using up extra licensed connections
> is a bad thing.  Furthermore, a central monitor can have
> a better notion of what connections are established and
> could act to set up or tear down connections (ie to
> implement a connection timeout in Zope).

This discussion brings up an interesting question. How do you count
users?

Let's asume, I've an application, where about 100 people work with it.
Most of them don't use the application often, about 10 are logged in at
the same time.
What does count now? I refer to
http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/ePLext.PDF , where you
especially should read page 9 (the last one). When you resize it to
about 200% in the Adobe Acrobat Reader, you'll be able to read it ;-)

Do I now pay:

- 1 CPU Lic.	15'000$	(cheaper then 100 * 300$ (Standard Edition))
- 10 User Lic.	 3'000$	(10 * 300$)
- 1 User Lic.	   300$	(1 Connection via DCOracle2)

In a small project (10 - 20) the licence in the first case will cost
more then the work ;-(
Or do I just tell my client that he should use PostgreSQL?

Any comments?

Regards

Dieter